The giants when it comes to customer engagement these days are Facebook and email.
Traditionally, email has been widely used for online marketing but Facebook has been experiencing a boom in recent years not just in popularity but also in revenues.
Email boasts of the following benefits:
- Ease of creating mailing lists
- Easy customer integration
- Low cost
- Easy tracking of campaigns, measurable ROI
- Ability to “push messages
- Generating of repeat business
- Opt-in features.
On the other hand, Facebook takes pride in the following:
- Ease of gathering of “likes” and followers
- It is open to a wide array of audiences
- Low cost
- Ability to measure campaigns
- Immediate interaction with customers
- Ability to generate brand awareness
- Ability to improve search engine ranking.
Despite Facebook’s increase in following and its uncanny ability to reach a large number of people, email still triumphs over it.
91% of people go online to check their emails while only 64% go online to access their social network. Moreover, checking emails is reportedly the number one activity on mobile.
Social media marketing may deserve the hype it is getting but email still packs more benefits for brands when it comes to engagement.